SJD’s Walk and Wheel October runs from October 11 to October 28, 2022!
Get active and join us for some FUN activities.
Active travel includes biking, scootering, skateboarding, rollerblading, and walking.
Instead of driving to the school, consider dropping your kids off 5 minutes away so they can join their peers in walking to school.
Fall School Street – October 11 to October 28, 2022
Thurlow Road from Moss Street to the staff parking lot will become a School Street.
Thurlow Road will be closed to traffic from:
- 8:30 to 9:00 am (typical timeframe for dropping students off at school)
- 2:15 to 3:00 pm (typical timeframe for picking students up after school)
(This section of Thurlow Road will be open to vehicle traffic at all other times of the day throughout October.)
If your child has a health issue or disability that requires the use of the drop-off loop, please contact the school office in advance to make arrangements: 250-382-7788.
Why Do We Need A School Street?
School streets are an international initiative that creates a car-free environment around schools at the start and end of the school day.
- This prioritizes safe walking and wheeling for children, caregivers, and teachers.
- Reducing idling time and improves the air quality around the school.
- Walking and wheeling to school provides an opportunity for physical fitness.
- School Streets make it safer for children to independently travel to and from school.
Volunteers make everything wonderful! Your help is greatly appreciated. Stay tuned for opportunities to help with your child’s class or sign up here to help with school-wide events: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080a4bafaa2ea7f58-school