SJD’s Walk and Wheel Week/ Bike to School Week is next week, May 28th to June 1st.
We hope that your family is ready to participate because the SJD staff and your PAC have many exciting events planned for the week. Here are the highlights:
- Every day of the week – Bike, scoot, or walk to school. Teachers will track student participation in classrooms and students who use active travel to get to school will earn tickets for the daily prize draw.
- Tuesday, May 29th – Bike Rodeo for grade 3s. All grade 3 students are encouraged to bring their bikes and helmets to participate in the Vic Police run Bike Rodeo being held in the morning.
- Wednesday, May 30th – Bike to Work Week celebration station @ Moss & Fairfield. Come decorate your bike, sip a hot chocolate and enjoy a breakfast sandwich. There will be small breakfast sandwiches donated by the Hot and Cold Café; fruit from SPUD; coffee and hot chocolate from Starbucks. There will also be a “decorate your bike” station so the kiddos can get their ride all dolled up for Friday’s parade and the BlenderBike so that kids can make their own pedal-powered smoothies! These activities are only for children who cycle that day.
- Friday, June 1st – Super Hero Bike Parade from Clover Point to SJD. Come dressed as your favourite super hero and decorate your wheels and helmet. Students participating in the parade will meet at Clover Point for the start of the parade at 8:40 am. We will then all walk and wheel to school along Moss Street. Parents are welcome!
- Friday, June 1st – 100% in 1 day, school celebration. Let’s have 0 cars drive to and pick up right at the school. The parking lot and roundabout will be closed off for the day. Drop your child off at Clover Point, instead of at the school, so that they can walk or wheel their way to the school. Later in the day we will transform the parking lot and roundabout into special play zones for all students to enjoy!
Walk and Wheel Week Prizes
Students who use active travel to get to school will be entered into a daily prize draw as well as a grand prize draw for a new bike! The grand prize draw for the new bike will take place in June. A big thank you to the Fairfield Bicycle Shop and Nicole Caldwell, Real Estate Advisor at Engel & Völkers Vancouver Island for sponsoring the bike prize! A big thank you as well to all the other local businesses that have generously donated prizes to be used in the daily prize draws, including:
- Fairfield Bicycle Shop – the bike and reflectors
- Nicole Caldwell, Real Estate Advisor at Engel & Völkers Vancouver Island – the bike
- Cascadia Martial Arts – 6 weeks kids taekwondo classes with a free uniform and 3 weeks kickboxing classes and free gloves
- Ross Bay Home Hardware at Fairfield Plaza – a kid-sized wheelbarrow & plant starters
- Lifestyle Markets Cook Street Village – 5 x $25 gift certificates
- Mount Royal Bagel Factory- gift certificates and free bagels
- Samosa King – 6 coupons for a samosa (chicken or vegetable)
- Moka House Cook Street Village – 1 x $25 gift voucher
- Habit Coffee – 2 free hot chocolates
- Discovery Coffee – 2 mugs
- Crystal Pool – 5 adult & 5 youth passes
- Capitol 6 Theatres – movie passes
- Big Wheel Burger Cook Street Village – $30 gift voucher
- Red Barn Market James Bay – 2 x $25 gift vouchers
- Fired Up Ceramics – a ceramic plate or schedule keeper
- The Market on Yates – $50 gift voucher
- Art Gallery of Greater Victoria – free passes
- IMAX Victoria – 2 adult and 2 youth passes
- North Park Bicycle Shop – free Bike Tune-Up
- Shampoo Hair Bar – gift certificate
- ICBC – reflectors
- Hemma Yoga – yoga passes
- Moss Healthcare
Please email Tanya at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can volunteer for this event.